COVID-19 Resources & Updates 04.01.21
What is open in LA County?
- LA County is currently in the “Orange Tier” or moderate tier. Effective April 5th, 2021, industries could re-open or resume certain activities with modifications and health and safety precautions. This chart outlines some of these changes, for a complete list of industry sector re-opening guidelines visit LA County’s Health Officer Order webpage.
What is new under the Federal COVID-19 Relief Bill?
- Stimulus Checks: Individuals making up to $75,000 and couples making up to $150,000 per year are eligible to receive a $1,400 check. To check the status of your stimulus check or to see if you are eligible, click here.
- COVID-19 Funeral Assistance: Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA will provide financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020 beginning in the month of April 2021. For eligibility requirements and to learn how to apply for COVID-19 funeral assistance, click here.
- Extended Unemployment Benefits: The new federal legislation continues to increase all unemployment benefits, in the following ways:
- Adds $300 to each week of benefits through September 4, 2021.
- Extends Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) up to 29 weeks through September 4, 2021.
- Continues the federally funded FED-ED through September 11, 2021, providing up to 20 weeks of benefits.
- For more information visit EDD’s COVID-19 webpage.
- Expanded Tax Credits for Families:
- The American Rescue Plan increased the amount of the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 to $3,600 for children under age 6, and $3,000 for other children under the age 18.
- Children 17 years old and younger, as opposed to 16 years old and younger, will now be covered by the Child Tax Credit.
- For more information visit the IRS Announcements webpage.
When will I be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine?
- Starting April 1st all individuals age 50 or over became eligible to be vaccinated and starting April 15th, all individuals age 16 or over will be eligible to be vaccinated, if vaccine supply permits.
- Other individuals under previous phases 1A and 1B are still eligible and include:
- Healthcare Workers
- Staff and Residents at Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Staff and Residents at Long-term Care Facilities
- Education and Childcare
- Emergency Services
- Food and Agriculture
- People with Serious Health Conditions/Disabilities
- People Who Live or Work in Congregate Living Spaces
- Janitorial, Custodial, and Maintenance Services
- Transportation and Logistics
To make a COVID-19 vaccine appointment in LA county click here or call 833-540-0473 between 8:00 am and 8:30 pm 7 days a week for assistance. Long Beach residents can book COVID-19 vaccine appointments here or call 562-570-4636.
Is there any guidance for parents, guardians, and caregivers on returning to in-person school instruction?
- The CA Safe Schools for All Hub is a great resource with interactive maps to see school district statuses on reopening, guidance on creating safe working and learning environments, answers to frequently asked school reopening questions and much more!
Is Small Business Relief Available?
- On February 23, Governor Newsom signed into law a comprehensive package providing urgent relief for the small businesses of CA. The package provides $2 billion for grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 to eligible small businesses and nonprofits impacted by COVID-19 and the related health and safety restrictions. The next round of applications will be accepted starting Wednesday, April 28th at 9:00 AM through Tuesday, May 4th at 5:00 PM. For more details and to apply to the California Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program, click here.