Senator Lena Gonzalez Prioritizes Funding for Long Beach and Southeast Los Angeles
Funding for Senate District 33 open spaces, parks and recreation, health services, business and workforce development included in the California 2021-22 Budget headed to Governor’s desk
Sacramento, Calif. – On June 29th, 2021, Senator Lena A. Gonzalez (D-Long Beach) announced major state budget allocations dedicated to district priorities that will have significant impact for residents of Long Beach and Southeast Los Angeles.
On Monday June 28th, a $262.6 billion budget was approved by the Legislature and is now headed to the Governor’s desk to be signed into law for the new fiscal year beginning July 1st, 2021. The budget will invest over $406.7 million for local projects and services, including but not limited to:
- $1 million in capital support for the new TCC Family Health and Wellness site in Cambodia Town, in Long Beach
- $8.5 million for MacArthur Park’s rehabilitation in Long Beach
- $5 million for an Inclusive Business & Workforce Development Center in Central Long Beach
- $9.5 million for community facilities, parks and recreational facilities in the cities of Bell, Cudahy, Lakewood, Lynwood, Maywood, Paramount and South Gate
- $45 million for the Southeast Los Angeles Cultural Center Project
- $322.4 million for the cleanup of areas impacted by Exide Contamination
“The past year has been very challenging for many families in my district as we grappled not only with the challenges of a global pandemic but also the ongoing challenges of environmental injustice and inequities in services and economic opportunity,” said Senator Lena Gonzalez (D-Long Beach). “This year’s budget is one that focuses on huge equity investments and one that truly represents people and our values. I am thankful to all my colleagues in the Legislature who helped accomplish this well balanced and on time budget and I look forward to seeing this spending plan become law in the following days when our new fiscal year begins.”
Senator Gonzalez represents the 33rd Senate District, which includes the City of Long Beach and portions of South Los Angeles and Southeast Los Angeles including the cities of Bell, Bell Gardens, Cudahy, Huntington Park, Lakewood, Lynwood, Maywood, Paramount, Signal Hill, and South Gate. Senator Gonzalez lives in Long Beach with her husband Adam and three sons.