Intern with Senator Gonzalez
** Due to the current Covid-19 health crisis, this District Office internship opportunity is remote only. Candidates must have access to Wi-Fi, a telephone, and a laptop/computer with audio and camera capabilities.
One of the best ways to learn the inner workings of government and your community is through a State Senate internship. Senator Lena Gonzalez is looking for bright, self-motivated, energetic individuals who are interested in learning the dynamics of working in a legislative office.
As an intern, you will provide support to staff with legislation, events, constituent services, and special projects. We accommodate interns with a flexible schedule; nevertheless, we ask for a minimum of 10 hours per week. The office will work with applicants who are requesting to receive undergraduate or graduate credit. Internship terms will be determined based on availability and needs of the office.
District Office Internship Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate in remote teleconferences and webinars
- In a learner capacity, assist with outreach at community events
- Assist with data entry
- In a learner capacity, assist District Representatives with constituent requests and casework
- Work with staff on special projects and assignments
- Read and summarize state reports
- Perform outreach to community leaders, constituents, and interest groups
- Other miscellaneous tasks, as required
Press/Communications Internship Responsibilities:
- Assist with compiling daily morning news clips and news roundups for the Senator and staff
- Assist with creating media reports pertaining to issue areas or legislation
- Help with special projects for the Senator’s Communications staff
- Direct phone traffic and press questions
- Assist with press events
- Assist with creating graphics for the Senator’s social media pages
- Create social media content and planning social media calendars
- Curate press distribution lists
- Perform general office tasks (filing, entering data, scanning, photocopying, etc.)
We are seeking candidates with a strong interest in public policy, community organizing, writing, political science, economics, communications, public relations or a similar area of study. Applicants with these areas of interest will find the California Senate internship a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
- Interest in local and State issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Assist in research and planning of upcoming events and projects
- Research issues in response to community inquiries
- Assist with office procedures, correspondence, telephone inquiries and special projects
- Have the ability to work in a professional and fast-paced environment
- Fluency in a second language is beneficial
How to Apply:
- Download and complete the PDF internship application form below.
- Write a cover letter that elaborates on your interest in this internship, your skills, and any other information you would like us to consider.
- Include an updated resume.
- Email your PDF application, cover letter, and resume with the subject line “APPLICATION: Internship Program” to Senator Gonzalez’s office District Director Abigail Mejia at Abigail.Mejia@sen.ca.gov.
DOWNLOAD THE PDF INTERNSHIP APPLICATION FORM HERE.