The Legislature reconvened for session today! I’m looking forward to a busy year ahead. Over the next few weeks, my team and I will be hard at work putting together my legislative package for 2024, and reviewing bills authored by other legislators before they go up for a vote on the Senate floor.
And there is much more work ahead. Here’s a preview of what’s to come over the next few months:
California’s 2024-25 Budget
- While our state is facing a tougher budget outlook for 2024, I am confident in our ability to work together to protect the health and well-being of all Californians. You can read the Legislative Analyst’s office report on California’s 2024-25 Fiscal Outlook, here and my statement, here.
- The Governor will release his budget proposal on January 10th. The Budget Committees in the Assembly and Senate will then hold a series of hearings and draft a budget bill. The Legislature and the Governor will have until June 15th to pass California’s 2024-25 budget.
What’s Going on in the Legislative Process Right Now?
- Each legislative session is two years, and because this is the 2nd year of the 2023-2024 Legislative Session, some bills that did not get to the Governor’s desk last year will continue to move through the legislative process, and have another opportunity to pass and get signed into law. Members of the Legislature will also introduce new legislation between now and February 16th, 2024.
My Committee Work, and Important Hearings Coming Up Next
- All bills introduced in the Legislature have to go through policy committee hearings. I am a member of five committees, which you can view here, and I serve as Chair of two committees, including the Senate Transportation Committee and the Select Committee on Ports and Goods Movement.
- As the Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, I will hear bills relating to driver’s licenses, freight, regional transportation agencies, transit authorities, aircraft, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, vessels and much more. You can tune in here to watch our first committee hearing of the year on Tuesday, January 9th at 1:30 pm.